It’s pumpkin time and chef Ben Kiely suggests trying out this unique recipe for delicious Pumpkin Ale Beignets. The recipe uses Pumpkin Ale which adds another dimension and sweetness to the flavor of the dish.
“I like to make these on Halloween when it’s cold outside because these nice warm beignets will warm you up!” says Kiely.
• 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
• 1/4 cup warm water
• 350 mL pumpkin ale
• 5 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup whipping cream
• 1/4 cup hot water
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Combine flour, pumpkin puree, sugar, heavy cream, hot water, egg, shortening, and salt in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. Mix dough just until combined and smooth. Let the dough rest in a bowl, covered with a clean kitchen towel, for 30 minutes.
3. Transfer dough to a well-floured surface. Pat to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut into 2-inch squares. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let dough rise in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
4. Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350 F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Serve immediately.